Things All Young
Black Men Should Know
Trayvon Martin, right, with a baby
that you are a young Black man in America and that means you are different than
other Americans. While you can still realize your dreams, you might have to
take a different path. You will have to be more careful, more thoughtful and
more aware than others to survive in America.
2) Value education, learning and reading. The more and
better you can read for understanding, the freer and more powerful you will
3) Work hard. Many times, it is not what you know that
makes you successful, but instead consistency, persistence, effort and
dedication. Be sure to just "show up".
4) Respect women and girls. They hold up half the sky
in our communities. Together we can accomplish great things in our families and
5) Believe in something higher than yourself. Whether
its religious, spiritual or philosophical, connect with and explore the larger
universe and eternity.
6) Emulate strong, positive, intelligent Black men. Use
them as your mentors and role models.
7) Be a leader! Exhibit courage, wisdom, vision and
good decision-making skills to help your community improve. You are a natural
leader. Others will follow your positive and righteous actions.
8) Respect and work with other young Black men to
accomplish great things for your community. Teams of young Black men can
accomplish what individuals cannot.
9) Study your history and culture. You are not alone,
10) Choose positive peers, associates and friends. Those
relationships will help determine your path in life.
For Black Male Achievement Week - February
Post a Comment