of Trooper is now open and is expected to remain open through November 19,
2012. If you are still interested in becoming an Illinois State Police
Trooper, please go to http://www.illinoistrooper.com/onlineapp.html and
complete an application as soon as possible.
The written and fitness tests are expected to take place in December so
please make sure you prepare in advance. Feel free to visit the Illinois
State Police website (http://www.isp.state.il.us/employ/fitness.cfm) for
information regarding the physical agility test and how to prepare for it.
Good luck recruiting and please don't hesitate to call if you have any
Trooper Natasha Lawson
Illinois State Police
Internship Coordinator801 South Seventh Street, Suite 1001A
The Illinois State Police Merit Board has set the following minimum requirements for persons applying for an Illinois State Trooper position:
1. An applicant must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age. (An applicant twenty (20) years of age may apply if the Option 4 education requirement is successfully met.)
2. An applicant cannot have been convicted of a felony.
3. An applicant must be a citizen of the United States.
4. An applicant must possess a valid driver’s license at the time of completing the application.
5. An applicant must be willing to accept an assignment anywhere in the State.
6. An applicant must have completed, with a C average or better, one of the following education requirements:
A Bachelor's Degree.
An Associate of Arts or Science Degree or equivalent course work* AND meet one of the following two job experience requirements: 3 consecutive years of continuous, full time service, as a police officer, with the same police agency OR three consecutive years of active military duty.
An Associate of Applied Science Degree, ONLY if the degree is in Law Enforcement/Criminal Justice AND meet one of the following two job experience requirements: 3 consecutive years of continuous, full time service, as a police officer, with the same police agency OR three consecutive years of active military duty.
NO education needed IF the applicant has been HONORABLY DISCHARGED from the military or naval services of the United States after serving active military duty AND has been awarded an AFGHAN or IRAQI CAMPAIGN MEDAL. PROOF MUST BE PROVIDED ON A DD-214.