North Region Program Coordinator
Girls on the Run—Chicago
Hours: Full Time
Girls on the Run-Chicago (GOTRC) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization whose mission is to inspire girls
to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates
running. In the past fourteen years, thousands of individuals throughout Chicagoland have volunteered
their time and dedicated their hearts to empower young girls with the confidence and character they need
to become strong, healthy women. In our Spring 2014 season we had more than 1,300 coaches
mentoring almost 6,600 girls at nearly 300 sites in seven Chicago area counties. More than just a running
program, GOTRC uses a cutting- edge curriculum that addresses the unique developmental stages of 8-
14 year old girls. The fun, innovative program combines training for a 5K event with interactive lessons
that encourage positive emotional, social, mental and physical development.
The North Region Program Coordinator is responsible for all aspects of program expansion and delivery
within North Cook, Lake and Kane counties and as such, a successful candidate will be familiar with the
schools and agencies within the territory. The North Region Program Coordinator will sever as the
primary contact for our program sites, schools, site coordinators, volunteer coaches and parents. The
North Region Program Coordinator is a member of the Program Team, and will work collaboratively with
our Program Manager, Volunteer Manager, Volunteer Coordinator, 5K Manager, and other staff on the
successful implementation of Girls on the Run and Girls on Track curriculum within their area of service
and our council region.
The North Region Program Coordinator reports to the Program Manager.
The North Region is defined as schools/sites in North Cook, Lake, and Kane counties.
The North Region Program Coordinator is responsible for the following areas:
North Region Program Coordination:
• Provide high quality program support and service to our sites and volunteers within the region to
ensure high site retention and satisfaction with Girls on the Run-Chicago.
• Work collaboratively with the Program Manager and other Program staff to continuously improve
delivery of the program to our sites, schools, coaches, parents, volunteers and girls.
• Ensure sites, predominately public, private and charter schools, have the resources and
information they need to successfully deliver the program each season.
• Maintain a healthy balance of sites representing all girls within region through both retention and
outreach efforts to new and returning schools and agencies.
• Steward new sites through the successful completion of the application, selection and completion
of their first season.
• Monitor the number of sites, coaches, teams and girls signing on for a particular season and
report projections to the Program Manager and Director of Programs.
• Work with Site Coordinators to recruit enough coaches per site and team to serve the number of
available and interested girls, and ensure that all coaches meet the requirements of the position.
• Determine the total number of girls that can be served per site based on certified coaches
available, assist in recruiting more coaches if needed to field a team.
• Collaborate with site coordinators and coaches to ensure smooth and successful recruitment of
girls, determine any registration caps, and help facilitate the process that site has elected to use
for selecting girls for their team.
• Coordinate the delivery of supplies necessary to implement the program prior to the season’s
launch; track receipts and items that need to be returned at the end of the season.
• Have a clear understanding of each Girls on the Run and Girls on Track curricula
• Under the direction of the Director of Programs, implement any Program Evaluation within region,
including determining sites, sending out evaluation tools, and processing returned evaluations.
• Under the direction of the Program Manager, ensure the program is being delivered to the highest
quality by facilitating site visits by staff, board, associate board and trusted volunteers.
• Steward successful delivery of Girls on the Run and Girls on Track programs within region by
observing priority sites’ best practices.
• Update and maintain important site information and notes within the SalesForce System.
• Work with the Program Team to continuously improve our delivery of the program to our sites,
site coordinators, coaches, girls and parents.
Coaches and Site Coordinators
• Build and maintain relationships with site coordinators and coaches while acting as a liaison and
serving as the first person of contact.
• Collaborate with Volunteer Services team to ensure our volunteer coaches and site coordinators
are properly managed, including coordinating recruitment, training, recognition and retention
• Support the internal day-to-day tracking of site coordinators and coaches who have completed
their online registration form, coach, cpr training, and background check
• Update and maintain coach and site coordinator files in SalesForce
• Along with fellow GOTRC staff, facilitate coach trainings
• Respond to inquiries from potential sites within region, and walk through the new site application
• Attend community events (i.e., festivals, health fairs, race expos) as a representative of GOTRC
to promote the organization and mission to potential new sites, coaches, volunteers and donors.
• Reach out to potential new sites in territory to expand the reach of Girls on the Run in Northern
Cook, Lake and Kane counties.
• Build programming within region in line with organization goals and strategy.
• Prepare sites, families, and girls to participate in our multiple 5K runs each year by
communicating deadlines and being the first responder to questions.
• Serve as the primary Event Staff lead in the Coach Check-in Tent for the North 5k, preparing and
delivering all day of materials to coaches and site coordinators
• Support the Program Manager or other regional leads in their role as the Primary Event Staff lead
at all other 5ks within the Coach Check-in Tent.
• Staff Packet Pick-Up in the days prior to the North Region 5k during peak hours, and as needed
for other 5ks.
• Bachelor’s degree in social work, education, communication or related field (or equivalent
combination of education and experience)
• 1-3 years of previous work experience with nonprofits and/or program coordination
• Familiarity with schools, youth-serving organizations, and community leaders in our north region
counties (Cook, Kane, and Lake)
• Ability to be an excellent ambassador for GOTRC, possessing the skills to quickly engage, relate
to, and motivate a wide variety of GOTRC stakeholders
• Excellent communication skills, especially in writing, grammar and public speaking, and the ability
to interact effectively with school personnel, volunteers, parents, and children
• Superior organizational skills
• Passion for the mission of Girls on the Run
• Ability to travel within assigned territory
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends, with willingness to fill in as
needed for organizational requirements
• Computer competence including but not limited to Microsoft Office, Microsoft Excel, and
• Capacity to maintain the confidentiality of all GOTRC-related information
• Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds
• Willingness to undergo a complete background check
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to Shavonne Worthy at firstname.lastname@example.org with
North Region Program Coordinator in the subject line. No phone calls please.