A 77-year-old Chicago man was critically injured in a fire in a single-family home in Chatham this morning, a Fire Department spokesman said.
The man was rescued from the home in the 8100 block of South Champlain Avenue after someone called emergency crews about 7 a.m., said Fire Department spokesman Quention Curtis.
He was taken by ambulance to Jackson Park Hospital in critical condition, Curtis said. The exact nature of his injuries was not available, and Curtis did not have information about where the man was in the house when he was rescued or if anyone else was in the home at the time.
The fire is believed to have been electrical in origin, Curtis said. It was under control by about 7:30 a.m., he said.